Saturday, August 30, 2008

Better Late Than Never...


Thursday I woke up at 5:15am to get a head start in preparing for my interview. I was out the door by 6:45am to meet the other contestants for breakfast which we quickly ate and were out the door by 7:30am on route to our interview location. Once there we were given only a few minutes to change into our interview outfits.

As I prepare to go into any interview room I find that self-meditation is most beneficial for me in creating a right mind set. I block out all environmental distractions and focus only on what is most important for the moment: ME! That focus gives me the courage, confidence and charisma needed to impress upon the judges that I am deserving of the title being awarded.

Since I am the first contestant in the line-up my goal was to set the bar as high as possible here and I am very pleased to report I did just that. The judges are (of course) well qualified and had obviously done their homework. They used the interview as an opportunity to get to know both my opinions and my ambitions. The questions were challenging but fair and I left the interview with a big smile.

Once our entire group had finished this phase of competition we went to our chaperone's home to have "girl time". We all crowded around the television to watch a movie while eating chips and candy. I will sheepishly admit to you all that I fell asleep about halfway into the movie - these early mornings are killer. Next came Dairy Queen for lunch, then an afternoon of talent rehearsals. Finally before returning to our host families we were treated to a yummy potluck dinner hosted by the Women Making a Difference group. Each member brought their favorite dish to this dinner.

Competition Friday evening was F-I-E-R-C-E! I can not begin to tell you how humbled and privileged I feel to be standing on a stage with these 38 amazing women! I can however tell you that (in all modesty) I did Kansas proud in all phases last night! The talent prelim winner was Utah for her piano performance. There was a swimwear tie between Nebraska and Tennessee.

And now it's Saturday and we begin again - this time with a breakfast with Junior Women's Club. Talent competition for me this evening. More later! Keep those questions & comments coming!

Danielle Coffman
Miss Sedgwick 2008
Miss Kansas Sweetheart 2008



"To trust yourself to test your limits. That is the courage to succeed.
~Bernard Edmonds


No comments: